2019 5NINES Art Poster
UPDATE: We have chosen Alexa Chmura entry for this year’s art. Watch this page for future updates!.
Since 2011, 5NINES has commissioned a local artist to create an illustration for our annual art poster. This poster is given to our customers and friends as a token of our appreciation.
Theme: Madison 2059
Each year we chose a theme that conveys a focus of 5NINES, our community and technology. This year’s theme is “Madison 2059”. Artists should use this theme to base their vision for a future Madison. Some ideas for thought:
- What does your Madison look like in 40 years?
- How can technology help?
- Visit our website com to learn what we do today – what could 5NINES do 40 years from now?
$1200 and 10 screened prints of artwork
Schedule (Jan 22: Extended by 2 weeks!)
Jan 7, 2019: Request for Proposal Launch – Artists email to firstname.lastname@example.org to express interest or questions
Feb 10 22, 2019: Draft art concept is due in PDF form
Feb 15, 2019: Artist is selected
Feb 18, 2019: Contract is signed and Artist may complete work
Mar 22, 2019: Final art is submitted
Mar 25, 2019: Pre and post production
April, 2019: Print Run at ScreenDoor Studios
- The illustration will be screen printed with a maximum of three color separations (even better if it can be done in 1 or 2 colors)
- The finished print is typically 18” x 24”.
- Art must be delivered in vector (Adobe Illustrator) format.
- Our graphic designer will handle the production of the print with Screen Door Studios.
- The artist should be available to provide input during the production phase.
- The commission is $1200.
- We will promote the artist on our social media and website
- Print may be displayed during the Spring 2019 Gallery Night event
- Contact Rylee at email@example.com for questions.
5NINES 2018 Poster: Engage
Illustrated by Wes Thomas
This year’s winning artwork was illustrated by Madison Wes Thomas. Wes’ work was chosen, due in part to its “old school” illustration and its hand drawn qualities, intricate detail, and thought provoking features. The poster has an Alice in Wonderland theme with the White Rabbit entering a dimensional door looking at his mobile device instead of a pocket watch.
“We strongly believe in supporting our local artists,” said 5NINES co-founder Rylee Wedekind. “And this is one way we can support the amazing creativity and vibrancy in Madison.”
This year, 250 hand-made, limited edition screen-prints were silk-screened by Screen Door Studio in Madison, WI. The artist-signed and numbered posters will be given to friends and customers of the company to promote accessible artwork.
About the Artist: Wes Thomas has been writing and illustrating professionally for over a decade. With the help of his long time agent, Wes spends most of his energy in the children’s book market, but occasionally comes out of his bubble to create whimsical pen and ink illustrations such as this year’s poster. See more of his illustration at his website – www.oldschoolillustrator.com
How Can We Help You?
Get an IT Partner
You Can Trust
316 West Washington
Madison, WI 53703